Cat 2 dogs has this new restrictions to contend with.
- All existing and newly licensed Part II dogs must be microchipped
- Owners of newly licensed Part II dogs must take up an insurance policy for at least $100,000 coverage against injury to persons and damage to property
- Owners of newly licensed Part II dogs must take up a banker’s guarantee for $2000
- Newly licensed Part II dogs must undergo obedience training
- Bull Terrier
- Doberman Pinscher
- German Shepherd Dog with its related breeds such as the Belgian Shepherd Dog and the East European Shepherd Dog
- Mastiffs, including the Bull Mastiff, Cane Corso and Dogue De Bordeaux
- Crosses of 1 to 5.
Most INTERESTINGLY.... there is a NEW part to this... and this part we fully agree on. It is definitely a very fair addition to the AVA regulation.
Enhanced Control for All dogsThis is music to my ears. It is totally fair and the requirements are there is see. Lets see now... Bruno was bitten by that Golden... I was bitten by that Chihuahua, Schnauzer... Hummm... I'll even complain on Nigel the Maltese...
6 Regardless of the breed, any dog that initiates an unprovoked attack and caused injury to a person or animal, will be subjected to one or more of the following control measures, depending on the severity of the bite :
- The dog must be leashed and securely muzzled when in a public place
- The dog must undergo obedience training
- The dog must be microchipped
- Premises where the dog is kept must be secured to prevent its escape
- The owner must take up an insurance policy for at least $100,000 coverage against injury to persons and damage to property
- The owner must take up a banker’s guarantee of $2,000
- Any existing banker’s guarantee would be forfeited for non- compliance and the owner must take up a fresh banker’s guarantee of $2,000.
But seriously... this might have huge impact on our image that we have tried cultivating all this time... People again will think we need this legislation, and other more extreme cases would think this isn't enough especially since Rotties were not pointed out specifically.
And the worst of all is to have nuisance reports submitted to AVA just to get other dog owners into trouble. Let just hope I am wrong.